![]() |
| Does owning electronics really guarantee the security of your private information? |
After watching several talks about online privacy and government surveillance, I came away with one main takeaway: almost everything we do leaves a digital trail. Whether it is a social media post, a text message, or even driving down the road, information about us is constantly being collected, stored, and shared.
![]() |
| Tattoos are Permanent |
I have made my fair share of mistakes on Snapchat and other social media platforms while growing up. Hearing that our online actions can essentially live forever made me think much more carefully about what I choose to post today.
Another talk focused on how much information is collected through surveillance technologies.
| Car Tracking |
Something as simple as driving a car around the United States can generate data about where we go and who we spend time with. The talk explained how photographs and tracking technologies can be gathered into massive databases. Even when we cannot see that process happening, it does not mean it is not happening.
What bothered me most was the idea that information collected for one purpose can eventually be misused for another.
I also learned about privacy in communications. Many people worry that someone could be listening to their phone calls or reading their messages. The speaker discussed how encryption has become more common and how technology companies have made secure communication available to ordinary people, not just governments or large organizations.
The argument was that stronger security benefits everyone.
While law enforcement agencies may find investigations more difficult, stronger encryption also protects regular people from criminals, stalkers, and others who may try to access private information. Personally, I was relieved to learn that my iPhone offers stronger protections than some older technologies. At the same time, I understand that no technology is perfectly secure.
Cases involving the sharing of private photos, videos, and personal information without consent can have devastating consequences. Victims often face long and expensive legal processes while harmful content remains online. The discussion connected these situations to serious mental health consequences and rising suicide rates. I strongly agree that people deserve better protection.
![]() |
| Hackers |
No one should have their private information shared without consent, and removing harmful content should not be such a difficult process. If other countries can take stronger action against these abuses, then the United States should work to strengthen protections and enforcement as well.
As someone studying media production, I have seen how often stories about leaked private photos appear in films and discussions about modern technology. Unfortunately, those stories reflect real problems that affect real people.
I already have trust issues, so learning how much information can be collected through social media, phones, and other technologies was disturbing. More importantly, I worry about my friends and family. A privacy violation can happen to anyone, and the emotional damage can be significant.
To protect ourselves, I think the best advice is simple: think before you click.
We should assume that anything we post online could remain visible forever. We should be careful about what we share, what we send, and how much of ourselves we reveal online. No matter how much we trust someone, some conversations are better held in person than on a screen.
In a world where digital information never truly disappears, protecting our privacy starts with the decisions we make every day.



No comments:
Post a Comment